Self-satisfied!

/ Saturday 4 February 2012 /
Just to prove that I'm not a person who can't be satisfied with my own work, let me tell you how thrilled I am with the way this Chinese Gongs quilt top has worked out.
Chinese Gongs!
To recap details from a previous blog post, the block here is called Chinese Gongs. It is a traditional block that appears in Jinny Beyers's encyclopedia and in Barbara Brackman's big book of quilt blocks.  I found it online here. It says it was featured in Nancy Cabot's column in the Chicago Tribune in 1937.  I love this block to death, and I plan to make many more of them.
DSC_0974
Partly I think I'm so happy because it's the first time I have drafted my own pattern with a compass and a ruler.  I've worked out how to make traditional blocks without an actual pattern or cutting directions before, but they have always been pretty easy to figure out, mathwise, and the curves in this one added a bit of a twist.  I also managed to get the directionality of the print oriented the right way (on all except one block - rats).  And amazingly, I had enough of the brown solid to make 99.9% of the blocks, and was able to use a brown FQ from this bundle of Heather Ross Far Far Away III to supplement, and you can't even really tell it is a different fabric.
can't wait to quilt this up!
I'm going to use some more of the FFA for the back.  If I have some batting in the basement, I'll put it all together and get started quilting it tomorrow.  I can't wait to make a finish out of this!


18 comments:

{ elle } on: 4 February 2012 at 15:58 said...

Aha! This top and block pattern rings my bell! GONG! Luv it.

{ Lindsay } on: 4 February 2012 at 17:29 said...

Whoa! Super nice!

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 4 February 2012 at 17:58 said...

I've never seen this block before. Very cool.
And it would have been an appropriate choice for the anniversary quilt I'm working on. My hubby and I always comment on the gong show that is out life!

{ Riel Nason } on: 4 February 2012 at 18:35 said...

Cool,cool,cool. Very modern and although I am not into brown, I really think the brown just suits this so well, a dark strong colour on a bold shape. Really neat.

{ QuiltNut Creations } on: 4 February 2012 at 18:41 said...

Love it! So absolutely fabulous!

{ Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) } on: 4 February 2012 at 18:45 said...

Wow, that is a really amazing block -- and beautiful quilt! I love the fact that a vintage block can look so fresh and distinctive. And I'm really impressed that you were able to draft a pattern for this.

{ Pokey } on: 4 February 2012 at 19:57 said...

It's an interesting pattern! I really like your choice of brown for the solids. Good for you on making your own pattern, and it works!!
:-}pokey

{ Sarah Craig } on: 4 February 2012 at 21:03 said...

Very beautiful, Lesly!

{ Cindy } on: 4 February 2012 at 22:49 said...

Love this pattern and love your quilt. Thanks for siting the web site where you saw it. I was able to draw in EQ for myself. Sooooo want to make this some day.

{ Little Island Quilting } on: 5 February 2012 at 03:48 said...

Wow..fantastic pattern. You are one clever person! Shouldn't you have more snow on the ground at this time of the year?!

{ Leanne } on: 5 February 2012 at 09:41 said...

I really love this pattern, I look forward to seeing how you quilt it.

{ Claudia } on: 5 February 2012 at 10:55 said...

Very fun, Lesly!

{ Dresden Quilter } on: 5 February 2012 at 17:55 said...

This is another wow! You are great at drafting patterns.

{ Krista Schneider } on: 6 February 2012 at 09:26 said...

wow! what a neat quilt, love it.

{ Kristina } on: 7 February 2012 at 23:11 said...

Truly awesome. I'm so glad to meet you via #talknt!!

{ Heather A } on: 9 February 2012 at 16:42 said...

What a fabulous effect! Love it!

{ Rene' } on: 10 February 2012 at 11:30 said...

Lesly, I can see why you are pleased with this quilt!!!! I have not seen this block before. You did an amazing job at drafting the pattern. I love your use of browns in this. Can't wait to see it quilted.

{ Jenny } on: 25 February 2012 at 00:10 said...

Now..that I love!! What a cool quilt..really..you did such a great job with this and the colors are amazing the piecing looks fantastic and love the curves!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger