Spatchcocked!

/ Monday 11 October 2010 /

Spatchcocked, originally uploaded by Shadrach Meshach & Abednego.
In Canada, there's a great deal of flexibility about when you serve your Thanksgiving dinner. Monday is the statutory holiday, but among my friends, the big dinner is pretty evenly split over Sunday and Monday. We don't have a hard and fast tradition over which day is Turkey Day. This year, it was today.
Did you know that you can speed up the cooking time for a turkey by spatchcocking it? I read about this in The Globe and Mail last week. In spatchcocking (aka butterflying), the backbone is removed** and the breastbone is flattened, and the turkey lies relatively flat. It is most effective for turkeys up to about 14 lbs, and it allows for a faster roasting time. I roasted this 10 lb. turkey in about 1 and a half hours. It just hit the 180 degree mark when I took it out. I think I would have left it in a little while longer, if I weren't getting time-squeezed on the other end by the looming Montreal-Calgary CFL game. I thought I would show a photo of this cutie, who looks like she's just about to do the can-can. Pros of spatchcocking: you can use the top rack of your oven at the same time the turkey is roasting, and it is faster than traditional roasting. Cons: because it is unfamiliar, I found it surprisingly hard to carve - nothing seemed to be in the right place. And if you are a stuffer, I don't know how you would manage. I cook my dressing on the side, so it was no downside for me.
I hope all my Canadian readers had a great Thanksgiving weekend. I am thankful for my family's continued good health, that I have a job to go to tomorrow, and that I am able to indulge myself in quilting and blogging!

**This passive sentence construction allows you to think that I removed the backbone, but honesty requires me to credit my awesome local butcher.

8 comments:

{ Dee } on: 11 October 2010 at 18:36 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadain quilting and blogging buddy!

Ick on the turkey looking a little like Frankenstein! LOL

{ Dresden Quilter } on: 11 October 2010 at 19:50 said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

{ Lee D } on: 11 October 2010 at 20:23 said...

Never heard of this. We had our friend dinner Sat. night and our family lupper yesterday, inbetween the teens work schedules. tonight we were already on the leftovers!!

{ elle } on: 11 October 2010 at 20:33 said...

Blessinto you, Lesly. I'm thankful for blogging and its friends! oh, lol and the weather. WOW!!!

{ felicity } on: 12 October 2010 at 00:20 said...

Mmmm...Spatchcocking or no spatchcocking, I love turkey. And we didn't even have any this Thanksgiving!

(Thanks for calling it "dressing" and not "stuffing.")

{ Claudia } on: 12 October 2010 at 10:04 said...

Oh yum, that looks great. I've done this to chickens but never considered flattening a turkey. The biggest drawback would be no place to put the stuffing/dressing!

{ Unknown } on: 12 October 2010 at 10:13 said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you!

{ Sew Create It - Jane } on: 14 October 2010 at 05:19 said...

I've done this with a chicken with good results too.

Happy belated Thanksgiving...as a Canadian in the UK we had chicken as our tribute to the holiday :o)

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger