Blowin' in the Wind

/ Friday 20 November 2009 /
I find Sew-n-Tell Fridays so motivating!  Last night I finished piecing my Values quilt top so that I could post over on Amy's this morning.  It was a shlep, actually, since the quilt turned out larger than I expected, too big for my McGyvered design wall.  So I laid it out on the floor.  But look what happened.
Susie is a lie-on
This was actually kind of cute.  Susie has always been a lie-on - she makes a bed out of whatever she finds on the floor.  But when she started to make a nest, she had to be booted off.  Fortunately, most of these blocks were already sewn into 4 x 16 panels.  These inside-at-night photos are pretty bad - they're all taken without the flash - please forgive.
Making a nest 1
Making a nest 2
Making a nest 3
Making a nest 4

It rained all night and was overcast this morning when I hung the quilt top on the line, but the colours still come through, I think.
Values quilt all pieced
My daughter loves this quilt.  When she saw all the layouts up on the design wall, she absolutely rhapsodized over this one, and began begging me to let her have it.  I made the Blue Meanies for her, but she doesn't like it nearly as much as she likes this one.  I also love it, and particularly I love how many different layouts are possible, each one giving a completely different look.  I've resolved that all my future projects will contribute a 6" square of fabric, so that I can start to build up scraps for more of these great quilts.  Thanks to Katie for leading this quiltalong - I don't think I would have considered doing it otherwise, and now I'm hooked!  I've not yet decided what I want to do about the back.  Eve put the kibosh on my idea of having a pieced back with some 12" diamonds in the same light-dark pattern as on the front.  There is some danger in letting your teenage daughter have any decision making power - they only want more and more!

Thought I'd leave you with a little video which inspired the title of this post.  When I hung the quilt out on the line for a photo, the wind picked it up and blew it around.  I find that such a compelling, almost hypnotic sight.

In other news, SewTakeaHike is hosting a Flea Market Fancy giveaway until the end of the month.


And the Incredible Shrinking Quilters' Bee is fully subscribed!  Woot!  You'll be seeing a lot less of me in the coming year, with the blessing.  And I mean that literally, as the twelve of us will be working towards reducing, as well as making awesome quilts for each other!
Have a great weekend, everyone, and don't forget to go over to Amy's and cheer on the other Friday finishers!

26 comments:

{ Jocelyn } on: 20 November 2009 at 10:46 said...

Your quilt turned out so beautiful!! And Susie looks like she could be Rosie's (Carrie Nelson - Miss Rosie's quilts) sister :-)

{ Linda } on: 20 November 2009 at 11:24 said...

Love your values quilt. I love the play of bright colors against each other like that. I too was reminded of Rosie the dog! I had to laugh though because my cat does the same thing. She makes me crazy some days. LOL

{ SewCalGal } on: 20 November 2009 at 11:28 said...

Lovely quilt. And I think Susie did a great job helping too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

{ Melissa C } on: 20 November 2009 at 11:35 said...

Pets know a good thing when they see it. Very pretty quilt.

{ Diane } on: 20 November 2009 at 11:36 said...

This turned out beautiful! This is another on my list for '10.

{ Dee } on: 20 November 2009 at 12:16 said...

okay Lesly...you made me cry! the quilt is gorgeous, but the vidoe!

it reminder me of my mom when we would hang bed linens out to dry at our house when I was a little girl. and the sound reminds me of sailing...another favorite of mine!

bless you and thankx for such an emotional Friday Finish!

{ Kimberly Tripp } on: 20 November 2009 at 12:55 said...

oh, I LOVE that quilt!!!! What beautiful colors! And the adorable puppy likes it too, how sweet!

{ Sara } on: 20 November 2009 at 14:01 said...

That is a totally stunning quilt. I really like it...

{ ktquilts } on: 20 November 2009 at 14:17 said...

Love the quilt!!! I love the scrappiness of it. My scrap quilts alway turn out better than my planned ones!!! Thought it interesting that my word verification was "sugar"!! For a sweet quilt!!
KT

{ Suzanne } on: 20 November 2009 at 14:47 said...

This is beautiful! I love scrap quilts and this works so well!

{ Sara } on: 20 November 2009 at 15:21 said...

I really like this one! I love scraps and the colors are so pretty. And your dog made me laugh! It is kind of like having a two year old boy! That is what each of my boys did when they were little when I would lay a quilt out to look at it! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see it all finished!

{ Lara } on: 20 November 2009 at 17:08 said...

Gorgeous Lesly! Love! The colours are just beautiful!

{ My Life In Stitch } on: 20 November 2009 at 17:15 said...

I just loved your quilt and the video was great. There is just something about lanudry blowing on the washing line

{ Colleen } on: 20 November 2009 at 17:26 said...

I love your quilt but the beautiful dog and his antics are priceless!!!

{ Karen } on: 20 November 2009 at 18:59 said...

The quilt looks great. All those scraps look lovely together. Later when you look at it you have fun trying to remember details about each bit.

{ Pokey } on: 20 November 2009 at 20:08 said...

I really like all your brights in this one- well done. We love our pets, don't we? I have a little doggy that will do the same thing, seeming to say, "If your paying that much attention to this place, then it must mean it's for me!"
Your video was pretty neat, too!

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 20 November 2009 at 21:53 said...

That quilt is soooooooooo gorgeous! It just glows in that outdoors picture!

{ Leslie } on: 20 November 2009 at 21:57 said...

this is gorgeous. i can see why your daughter would want it. love the video...it was quite mesmerizing

{ Heather } on: 21 November 2009 at 00:18 said...

Oh, how beautiful!! I absolutely love this one. And the pictures of Susie are adorable. Animals always love the quilts, don't they? LoL Great finish!

{ Carla } on: 21 November 2009 at 00:22 said...

It's so eye catching and I love the fabrics you used.

{ Nina... } on: 21 November 2009 at 10:34 said...

Beautiful! My dog does the exact same thing, like I am laying out my quilt just for him, Prince Jack, His Royal highness! They are just too cute! Your video is great, so dreamy and relaxing! Thanks!!

Anonymous on: 21 November 2009 at 11:20 said...

Wow! It looks amazing. I like your pictures with the cutie dog. I'll keep up with your quilt a long.

I'm working on my back now.

{ Deborah } on: 21 November 2009 at 13:43 said...

I love your helper!

{ Jennifer } on: 22 November 2009 at 17:58 said...

Wow, that is beautiful! I need to do one of these value quilts. They are just gorgeous! Great job.

{ Rene' } on: 23 November 2009 at 10:48 said...

Gorgeous values quilt. You did an amazing job. Even my little dog messes up my layouts when put them on the floor. But you would think teenagers would know better...my son walked through the last coin quilt and disrupted the layout...I went with the way it was after he walked through. Love how your daughter voices her opinion...mine does the same and she's only ten. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your new bee.

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 1 December 2009 at 11:54 said...

Fanatastic! I really want to get going on my Values quilt. I'm still in the cutting fabric stage...

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger